Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March 18, 2014

So. I'm not exactly sure why I decided to create this blog, or what good can happen because of this blog, but whatever. I made it, you found it and are here, so that's all that matters, right? Right. So...  I guess I should explain a little bit about me in regards to my fandoms.

My first fandom was when I was 10 years old, and unlike most kids who were into Harry Potter (I was not allowed to read or watch it, due to the spells, and quite frankly am still not allowed, although I could consider myself a Potterhead with all of the knowledge I know concerning that fandom, and the fact that I do rather like what I know about it), I was into The Chronicles of Narnia. I was six when the movie came out, but was too chicken to watch it - although I had read the book, because of the hags. I know, I know, I was a scardy cat, but weren't we all at one time or another? When I was ten I finally plucked up the courage to watch the movie, and by that time, the film Prince Caspian was already in the makes. I fell in love with it, and that Christmas, my family not only bought me Prince Caspian on DVD, they also bought me the entire Narnia collection. Those books have a lot of dog ears and wear and tear in them, and I should probably buy a new collection, but I love them and still read them to this day - don't judge me too harshly, it's a wonderful and positively fun series.

Me and my friend at the time would play in the forest behind my house pretending that we were the Pevensies, and that her hamster was Reepicheep. I had some of my fondest childhood memories (what am I talking about, I'm fifteen, I'm still a child until I turn 18!) pretending that I was in Narnia.

On December 21st, 2012, was when I first saw The Lord of the Rings. Due to the fact that my mother always almost wets her pants when watching the movies, and therefore has only seen them once (and hasn't read the books sense she was 20... aka the time of the mammoths), and that my brother and dad are obsessed with war movies and often say that movies are clean when they are, in fact, quite gory, I wasn't allowed to watch them until I was 11, but by that time I had no desire to watch or read them (Sue me, I was stupid). My brother was over for Christmas, and was flipping through the channels with me half asleep on the seat next to him from boredom, when he found the LOTR marathon. We watched it, I fell in love with it (as well as a few characters and actors), checked out the books the following day, and became a Ringer. I read the books within a week and devoured so much information, that I'm surprised my head didn't explode from how fast my brain expanded. My birthday is Jan 29 (the day after Elijah Wood's birthday, and the day of Adam Lambert's! Oh, what a lucky girl am I! Teehee), and The Hobbit was still playing in theaters, so we checked out The Hobbit and went to our nearest theater and watched it. As I had read the book during our three-hour drive to the nearest theater, after I saw the movie, I was disappointed. I loved it, don't get me wrong, and I couldn't keep the grin off my face during the entire time - my brother (who drove me there) could testify to that, but I was disappointed in Thorin and his nephews by how young they looked, as well as how Thorin was portrayed (he is quite greedy and selfish, and in the movies they don't portray that, I can only hope when I watch DOS that I won't get too angry when Tauriel and Legolas appears, but that they will also keep Thorin truer to the book). I got over it, however, and bought it when it came on DVD. I was so obsessed with the fandom that I ended up co-owning two pages, owning 3 completely, and even having a role-play page *Eowyn*, all pertaining to Lord of the Rings for almost 8 months, but for personal reasons I closed and/or left them all.

Before I did that however, I got into the Sherlock fandom around April. And oh my Lord, there has never been a fandom that has made me cry so much. I don't think I even need to explain my feelings on it, why I love it, or any of that, as I'm sure most of you already know.

In December, while watching a HillywoodShow Parody (love those two♥), I came across the lovely, majestic, beautiful, angelic (I can go on...) voice of the wonderful Adam Lambert. I was addicted to his voice instantly and starred a great portion of his songs on Spotify. I watched as many interviews as I could, and in February, I bought two of his albums (For Your Entertainment, and my favoritest *that is in fact a word in my little world* album ever, Trespassing).

Sense then I haven't really gotten into any fandoms, although I am intrigued with Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games. Out of all fandoms that I have ever known anything about, I would have to say that Twilight is my least favorite, though. For reasons that are quite obvious *cough* Bella Swan *cough*.

I do know, however, that I would be a Slytherin as I opened up a Pottermore account just to get sorted. Isn't that what the rest of us does, though? Get sorted and never go back on? No? Just me? Okay. Whatever.

Fandoms have really affected my views on the world; politically, emotionally, relationships, you name it, they've affected it. I don't really mind, though. Fandoms have helped me mature quicker (which was much needed, as my mother tells me continuously), and have a better understanding of other people, as well as life.

Fandoms have also helped me realize that I go from one extreme in regardings to my feelings or views, to another extreme. Example; if I love something I am completely obsessed and consumed for it and by it. If I dislike something, I will not hesitate to say so and demand the reasons why someone likes it - if nothing else, then to help me understand why I dislike it, or what good said thing can do/is about. Did that last sentence make sense? I sure hope so.

So yeah! That's basically a short long intro on how I came into fandoms, and how they have altered my universe.

Kind of a cliche thing to say, but whatever.

-Nali, The Chosen One of 221b Bag End, Narnia

PS: I'm gonna do this thing called "Picture of the Day"... where I upload the picture of the day. It's quite self-explanatory, I'm sure. Today's 'Pic of the Day' is part of a quote by Tolkien, as said to Frodo, from Gandalf about Aragorn (That's a mouthful) in The Fellowship of the Ring, chapter ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment